When looking for a martial arts school, there are several important factors to consider. Here are the top 10 things to look for:
1. Qualified instructors: Ensure that the instructors are qualified, experienced, and knowledgeable in the martial art they teach. Look for instructors who have proper certifications and a proven track record. At PVMAA our classes are run by certified Master Instructors with 15 to 20 years local experience each in Tang Soo Do.
2. Safe and clean training environment: A good martial arts school should prioritize safety and maintain a clean training space. Check if they have proper safety measures in place and clean their mats and equipment regularly. Not only do we focus on training safely, we also invest 20 hours a week cleaning, we also operate specialized equipment to keep the indoor air clean.
3. Class structure and curriculum: Pay attention to the class structure and curriculum offered by the school. A well-organized curriculum will provide a systematic progression of skills and knowledge. It should also cater to the specific goals and needs of students. Not only is the curriculum well-organized and transparent at PVMAA, it is also available to members on-line. Where ever Ponte Vedra and Nocatee students are in the world, they can access our amazing curriculum.
4. Emphasis on technique and form: A quality martial arts school focuses on teaching proper technique and form. This helps students develop a strong foundation and prevents injuries. Avoid schools that prioritize flashy moves over sound technique. Classes are organized around the concept of “Technique First”. We start with basics and build on that foundation as students advance.
5. Student-to-instructor ratio: Consider the student-to-instructor ratio in classes. Individualized attention allows for better learning and progress. If classes are overcrowded, it may be more challenging for instructors to provide personalized guidance. Instructors are expected to engage students by name three times per class. We adjust the student to instructor ratio to maintain that standard. Our instructor to student ratios are higher with the younger students. Since we focus on and build on foundational techniques, students receive more direct feedback.
6. Positive learning environment: A welcoming and supportive learning environment is crucial. Look for a school that fosters mutual respect, encourages teamwork, and promotes a positive attitude among students and instructors. Our Director of Instruction is a Florida certified teacher and she spend time with each of the staff to ensure they maintain the right learning environment.
7. Class schedule and flexibility: Evaluate the class schedule and assess if it aligns with your availability. Additionally, consider if the school offers flexibility in terms of makeup classes or different training options to accommodate various schedules.Student have a variety of training days they can utilize.
8. Progression and ranking system: A transparent and meaningful progression system is important to track your development. Inquire about the ranking system used by the school and how promotions are earned. Promotions at Ponte Vedra Martial Arts Academy, are student driven. All criteria is on-line through our app with specific expectations. Stripe testing is one on one and students get very specific feedback based on their execution.
9. Trial classes or introductory offers: Many martial arts schools offer trial classes or introductory offers. Take advantage of these opportunities to experience the teaching style, interact with the instructors, and determine if the school is the right fit for you.We have a generous, value driven, Starter Membership program that gives prospective members a very good introduction to who we are and how we operate. Without the pressure to make a purchase.